McGlothin Family NestMcGlothin Family NestMcGlothin Family NestMcGlothin Family NestMcGlothin Family Nest

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Thankful (for Fat Kids) on a Thursday

If you have been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that my best friends from high school in New Orleans are fondly known as the Fat Kids.  We have been getting together for an annual Christmas party for 13 years now.  (Or maybe it's 14- Casie, I know you read the blog, correct me if I'm wrong).  It usually entails a lot of food, the most wonderful slush drink that Tara makes, a dirty Santa gift exchange and a really good time.

Girls have come and gone from the party, but the seven of us have been there through it all: the trauma that can be an all-girls high school, boyfriends, bad friends, jobs, family mess.  We have stayed together despite moving away to college, getting married, having babies. 

So today, I am thankful for my trip to New Orleans to reconnect with the girls that defined my teenage years, rescued me from depression, supported me through anything, stood in my wedding, celebrated the birth of my daughter and will surely take me to the nursing home in fifty years.





Photobucket


126.  The Next Generation. We have started the second generation of Fat Kids- Christine's little Laynie, Claire, and Holly's little Savvy- just born this October.  What we will do next year when Christine has a boy, I have no idea.

127. The Ornaments.  We do a dirty Santa gift exchange every year for around $40 with an ornament.  But the ornament has really become the best part.  One year, I got a Lucky Dog stand ornament and my other favorite is two flowers in a flower pot that says Best Buds.  I scored an awesome deal on my gift this year, but the ornament is still the best part. 

128. Good Food.  We bring our A-Game to the party when it comes to food.  Whether it's artichoke balls, crab dip or stuffed mushrooms, the food at these parties is always amazing.  And a tribute to why we started calling ourselves Fat Kids in the first place- we love to eat!

129. Reminiscing.  After a few cocktails, we seem to remember more than we forget.  It's such a good time to sit around the table (or we may brave the fire pit outside if there were more than a few cocktails) and just talk about after-prom parties and ringing the bell at Holy Cross after a Friday night football win.  There's talk about how much has changed, and those things that are still.the.same.  We need to start writing these down before we get old and really do start to forget!

130. My Beautiful Fat Kids.  Here we are at last year's party.  There was an awful flood that night; Claire was only eight weeks old, Holly had water coming into her house from a leak in the roof, I think Preau may have walked to Casie's from a few blocks away.  But despite it all- we were together- and this is what it's all about!

Photobucket


I won't be able to comment much, but you can still linky...

5 comments:

Jamie Oliver (@va_grown) said...

Sounds like a great holiday tradition! That's a big group of friends to be able to keep going with--how fun!

Amanda Moury said...

What a fun and wonderful holiday tradition :) Beautiful picture of you all!

Barbara said...

What a great picture! I hope you have a great time in New Orleans!

Unknown said...

Dear Gini,

I’ve been following your blog and have noticed you write about being a mother and your family.

The reason I'm leaving you a comment is that I'm the intern for StageofLife.com, and I am looking for bloggers who might be interested in guest writing on our site. Could we feature you? We work with talented writers and bloggers to build a network of stories, crossing all stages of life, that will help make the world a better place, and I think our readers would gain a lot from your life perspective.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration and I look forward to hearing from you if you are interested. My email is megan.colyer@stageoflife.com. Thanks!

Megan

Inspired said...

Really excited to be a new follower!