McGlothin Family NestMcGlothin Family NestMcGlothin Family NestMcGlothin Family NestMcGlothin Family Nest

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Happy Independence Day!

So we are back.  Again.  But this time for good.  No more vacations for a while.  I hope.  Because I am exhausted.  Don't get me wrong, we had a wonderful time, but I am wiped out.  Between Grammie's funeral, my business trip, Atlanta and the Smokies, I am ready for the kind of R&R that takes place in my own bed!

But since you asked, here are some highlights from our Fourth of July trip to the mountains.  We arrived so late on Thursday, that it was an hour from Friday, so that day does really count.  Erin and her three kids (Dylan, Dalton and Rachel) along with my parents were already there. 

But they were kind enough to give Luke and I the basement bedroom of the cabin (aka: no windows) so we unknowingly slept until almost 10:00am the first day.  We both figured we'd get up when the baby did, forgetting that my parents wanted Claire in their room.  So some sleep and lots of snuggling that first day. 

After Erin's fabulous (and highly requested) homemade chicken salad for lunch, we met up with the rest of the family (who was staying in a nearby cabin because our group is just too big) at Elkmont.  It is this great part of the Smoky Mountain National Park with old houses and this great old cemetery.  I remember going to Luke's parents for the first time and seeing their picture on this bench at Elkmont, one each time they go, and ever since then, I have wanted Luke and I to do the same.

Claire was sleeping back at the cabin, so it was just the three of us...

Photobucket

There's also a little creek that runs off of the river at Elkmont where the babies were loving playing with the rocks.  I am so blessed that Claire will be growing up so close to her cousins Liam and Camille.

Photobucket

Friday night my parents grilled pork chops and asparagus with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob.  After dinner, Luke and Erin took the kids to play putt putt and ride go carts.  Saturday was tubing (where I forgot my camera, but I'm praying Erin and my parents took lots and lots) and then fishing in the creek near our cabin.  Sunday was the Fourth of July and we went to the other cabin where the rest of Luke's family was staying for a little bar-b-que.

Photobucket


This is just a sneak peek, because there are more pictures to come in the Vacation Edition of Thankful on a Thursday.  Hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend with people you love.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

great pictures! Glad to hear you had such a good weekend with your family :)

Joanna said...

your vacation looked so beautiful!!!! there isn't places like that anywhere near us in Texas for sure.