While the EHS team and I flew into Rapid City and drove two and a half hours to Pierre, I spent most of my time in the lovely town of Gettysburg, South Dakota.
I know I should have framed this shot better with the John Deere sign more visible in the background, but I was in a moving car, okay.
Let me just say that these people know how to do a small town good. They were so lovely to us "outsiders," and we were quite identifiable by our Southern drawls. We ate all of our meals in Gettysburg at the quaint Medicine Rock Cafe, where they make apple pie to die for (I would link it, but of course, there is no link).
They may not be a big city, but at least they have the town of Agar beat.
And the day after I took this picture (which came out way better than I thought it would given that I was again in a moving car, only this time I was driving- eek) there must have been a baby born in Agar because someone had placed a sticker on this sign to read: POP. 83! No joke people, true story.
And the ladies at Community Care Clinic were wonderful!
And, of course, the reason for the post title...
What I learned from this trip had more to do with life and less to do with work. These people love their small town. They love the kinship it brings and the community, in the truest sense of the word. Yes, I missed my family terribly, but they reminded me to be grateful for where I am at this moment in life. Don't look forward to where you'll be next week, or backwards to where you were last year.
Live in the moment that is today. And love it. Own it. Own your small town, big city, small family, big family, good job, hard job. It is where you are now. And whether we know it or not, it is teaching us how to be better in the future. So that when the future comes, in it's own time, we'll be ready for it.
Thank you Gettysburg, South Dakota. You will always hold a very special place in my heart. You taught me to embrace the present and that everything is better with homemade apple pie!




























.jpg)













0 comments:
Post a Comment