Summer is almost here and I am about ready to burst with excitement. I know Spring is when you are supposed to plant new flowers, but everything in our household runs a bit behind. So it shouldn't surprise you that we are just now getting around to sprucing up the front yard.
A gift card to Home Depot from Luke's wonderful parentals allowed us to get moving in the right direction. We bought all necessary supplies Sunday with intentions of taking care of business, but exhaustion set in and we put it off- telling ourselves Monday after work it wouldn't be so hot- but it was still 91 degrees at 5:30 yesterday. And any working mom can tell you the last thing they want to do after a long day at the office is work in the yard.
But we trudge onwards. Claire Bear just watching from the sidelines (but not to worry- Luke will have her mowing the lawn in no time).
But this planting flowers thing is no simple task in Alabama. Why, you ask? Because our "garden" is really just a bed of red clay. Underneath this nice, moist, lush, really expensive garden soil is solid. red. Alabama. clay. It's full of racks, and I hate it.
Please check out this cute blonde on the garden soil bag... She sitting in her lush, green grass with a smile on her face in jeans and sans sweat. No pictures of me so you can just imagine that's what I looked like, ok?
But in the end, it was all worth it. And in a few weeks, we will have an orange and white checkerboard of flowers- for my Tennessee Volunteers fan husband.
And I was just telling Luke that if Claire were born during the Summer, I may have never gone back to work. I would have been outside all day, teaching her to roll around in the grass and continually pull sticks from her mouth. I would have been at the park and the playground, meeting other mommies and finding that adult interaction I was so desperate for. No, if Claire was born during the Summer I may still be at home with her.
But as always, God has a plan- and it was for me to go back to work- so Claire was born in the middle of the coldest winter Alabama has seen in some time. We spent 95% of our day inside, couped up with lousy daytime television and itching to get outside.
So, Summer- we are ready for you! We will take walks with dogs and babies through neighborhoods, trails, and parks. We will play in the sprinkler until our legs won't allow us to run any longer. We will have picnics and play dates. We will read books and have tea parties outside, just because we can. There are many things in life that I am not ready for, but Summer- bring it on!
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









































1 comments:
ooh its starting to look beautiful! :)
Post a Comment